I got to choose the second challenge for me and Barb to do, so I chose the Year of the Rooster (or chicken) theme at Dragonfly Journeys, and sketch #268 from Freshly Made Sketches.
There's a little bit of paper piecing on the hen. I have a stack of (mostly unused) A Little Foxy DSP, so I chose a nice Smoky Slate pattern. After the hen and egg were stamped on the Whisper White cardstock, I stamped just the hen on the DSP. A few quick snips and a bit of glue and she was all decked out in her new finery. Her comb and wattles were colored with a Real Red marker, and her beak and the chick's feet are Crushed Curry.
Aren't the tiny hearts on that red background adorable? That's from the new Sending Love DSP stack. Just TWO MORE DAYS until you can get it! And if your order qualifies, you can get the Hey Chick stamp set for free with as a Sale-A-Bration reward!
Stitched Shapes Update: Estimated availability is two weeks from today. They were so popular, they sold two months worth of stock in less than two weeks!
Here's the "How To"
Hen & egg: Whisper White 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" (Hen DSP is A Little Foxy)
Mat: Basic Gray 2-3/4" x 2-3/4"
Greeting: Whisper White 1/2" x 1-1/2"
DSP: Sending Love 1-3/4" x 4-5/8"
Mat: Basic Gray 1-7/8" x 4-3/4"
Card base: Whisper White Thick 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" scored & folded at 4-1/4"
- Stamp hen and egg in Basic Black on Whisper White. (Hint: Put both stamps on one block if using clear mount stamps.) Color hen's beak, comb, wattles, and chick's feet.
- Die cut with largest square in Stitched Shapes Framelits. Adhere to Basic Gray mat.
- Stamp hen on A Little Foxy DSP and fussy-cut. Adhere to image with liquid glue.
- Adhere DSP to corresponding mat.
- Stamp greeting and cut banner end on left side.
- Use the Falling Petals embossing folder to emboss front of card base. (Hint: If you have difficulty embossing just the front of a card base, go ahead and cut some Whisper White 4-1/8" x 5-3/8", and emboss it instead. Trim to 4" x 5-1/4" then attach to card front.)
- Adhere DSP to left side of card front, then attach hen with dimensionals. Add greeting with dimensionals. Make a baker's twine bow and attach with a glue dot.